Check List and Guide to Grad School

Study Skills

Two students from the CD program presented on useful strategies to study for tests. Below are the links to download their power point presentations.

Study Skills Brown Bag Presentation - Janelle Saunders.pdf

 Study Skills Brown Bag Presentation - Vania Silva.pdf



Declaring Communicative Disorders as a Major:
- Major can be declared at any moment, though introductory classes are only offered in the fall
- CD work does not begin until Junior year
- To declare, visit:

Classes offered only in the Fall:
- CD 651: Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech Mechanism
- CD 652: Audiology
- CD 656: Diagnosis of Communicative Disorders
- CD 659: Articulation and Phonological Disorders
- CD 660: Communicative Disorders
- CD 668: Language Acquisition and Development 

Classes offered only in the Spring:
- CD 653: Fluency and Voice Disorders
- CD 654: Audiometry
- CD 658: Communication Development and Disorders
- CD 661: Neurolinguistics
- CD 663: Augmentative and Alternative Communication
- CD 664: Clinical Phonetics

- To apply for graduation, visit:

Requirements to apply to the Master's Program:
- Official transcript
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Personal essay
- Passed CBEST
- Complete application before February 1st


- Must take the Graduate Essay Test during the first semester of graduate work.
- Must take the Praxis II Exam during the final semester of graduate work.
- Must complete all graduate work within 7 years.
- Must complete 375 clinical clock hours + 25 observation hours.
- Foreign students must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (if previous post-secondary institution  
   was not English based).

Classes offered only in the Fall:
- CD 701: Seminar in Language Differences and Disorders in Children
- CD 705: Seminar in Aural Rehabilitation
- CD 708: Seminar in Neurogenic Disorders of Language
- CD 768: Seminar in Advanced Clinical Skills

Classes offered only in the Spring:
- CD 706: Seminar in Counseling in Communicative Disorders
- CD 707: Advanced Seminar in Language Disorders in Children
- CD 709: Seminar in Motor Speech Disorders
- CD 710: Seminar in Dysphagia
- CD 756: Advanced Diagnosis of Communicative Disabilities
- ISED 797: Seminar in Educational Research  




Career Options available with an SLP/CD bachelor's degree


Speech Language Pathology and Audiology.


With a bachelor's degree in Speech Language Pathology/Communicative Disorders one can go on to gain a master's in speech language pathology or audiology. Both of these careers can be interesting and rewarding. Speech language pathologist's work with children and adults with conditions that make communication difficult or impossible. These professionals work to help correct speech, language, swallowing, fluency or cognitive communication difficulties. Possible work environments include hospitals, rehabilitation centers, schools, and nursing homes.

Audiologists are experts in the non medical diagnosis and management of disorders of the auditory and balance systems. They specialize in the identification and assessment of hearing and balance problems, rehabilitation of persons with hearing and balance disorders, and prevention of hearing loss. Possible work environments include areas of health care which include hospitals, private and group practice, as well as residential health and long-term care facilities. Educational settings include K-12 schools, colleges, universities, state schools, and intermediate facilities for children with developmental disabilities.

What can I do with an SLP/CD bachelor's degree other than go to graduate school in speech-language pathology (MS-SLP) or audiology (AuD)?

During the  process of obtaining a bachelor's degree in Speech Language Pathology/Communicative Disorders some people may discover that speech language pathology or Audiology is not really for them. It is important to be aware of all the career options and graduate programs available to those who obtain a SLP/CD bachelor's degree.

Speech-language pathologists generally need a master's degree in the field in order to gain employment. However, there are 7 states in the U.S. which allow a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree to work as a school-based SLP (some may require a teaching certificate and/or state license). The 7 are: Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Nebraska, Nevada, New York, and Oregon.  Requirements vary depending on the state, county, city,  and district. Contact the school board in the your area of interest to learn about specific requirements. For more information refer to ASHA’s State Requirements document.


Graduates of a bachelor's degree program are eligible for the following positions with some additional training:

   Speech-language pathology assistants (SLPA)

   Speech technician

   Speech pathologist technician

   Rehab technician

   Human language technology technician

   Work in related areas.


Optional graduate programs include:

   Special education

   Social work

   Rehabilitation or mental health counseling

   Public health (MPH)

   Health education

   Health law



   General education


Other careers include:

   Research and development

   Marketing and promotion

    Sales for health products companies

    Academic advising

    Technology support

    Community outreach programs

    Employment search firms

   Assisting families



Click to add text, images, and other content